Monday, June 15, 2009

Comments on the News: Part 2

This is in continuation of my last blog in which I was discussing the case of Miss Benita Veliz, the young Mexican woman who had been in this country illegally since eight years of age. Now being twenty three and having earned a degree from a local university, she had finally gotten caught (for being here illegally) and had been in danger of being deported. At this writing, she has received a three-month continuance from an immigration judge. So she is allowed to stay for now.

Now I had been wondering if her story was national and not just local. I googled her name and indeed her story had been covered by the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/) or at least there was an article or editorial in the Opinion section back in March of this year under the title "Don't Deport Benita Veliz" by Lawrence Downes. I may refer to some info from the article, although reluctantly because of the liberal nature of that periodical because. . .

Because first of all, I am strongly for any immigrant from any country entering this country legally if their purpose for coming or wanting to come is to contribute in a positive way to the culture of America. That's magnificent in my view. Otherwise, no; and if it takes a wall to protect our borders and to keep illegal immigrants out, then that's what needs to be done. I don't want to hear that it's like the Berlin wall, which by the way was for keeping people from escaping from a despotic country or government. That despotic country, East Germany--aka Soviet Union's puppet--was trying to enslave their citizenry.

I also don't want to hear that these aliens will still find and have found a way to crossover, so its just a waste of money. Also don't want to imbibe the rot that "they are hardworking people just looking for a better way of life." Don't care. Tiiiiired of hearing that. (another thing I was so tired of hearing was when President Bush would continually tell us that "we are a nation of immigrants," which is not true; at least not true in the sense that this nation was started by immigrants; founding fathers were born on this soil).

Last but not least. . . don't want to hear that the terrorists (because the wall was also meant to prevent or at least greatly hinder terrorists from entering) that have or tried to enter, had entered by way of Canada and other parts north. So then build a fence up there as well! Just protect the damn border and us American citizens-- will ya! What is so hard to understand about that! (Oops, do I sound mad? Shoutin' to loud for ya?).

Still, I can understand that deportment cases such as Miss Veliz are not always cut and dry. (I've seen that through the years). Because as she claims, she doesn't know any of her family in Mexico and certainly doesn't know her way around there. So, I suppose it would look bad if she was just dropped somewhere across the border and was told good luck. In the eyes of the world, it would seem that that was just another case of America treating an alien immigrant cruelly.

Still, the young woman was able to get a degree (I think maybe even two) from Saint Mary's University here in San Antonio. So, she should have a certain amount of smarts or savvy about her. Why can't she relocate in Mexico? Give her a chance and some time to contact whatever family members she may have in Mexico and allow them to set up some sort of living situation for her. I myself went to Mexico to live for awhile. Never had been there before to live. Wasn't even fluent in the language. Yet, a living situation had been set up for me beforehand. So, I was able to assimilate into the culture with the proper help. It wasn't all that difficult, and I even had my family there. Just takes a little time.


Well, Miss Veliz and her lawyer have about three months to figure it out. I know the debate concerning her situation will continue quite awhile. So. . . let it be. Let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment