Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hope You Didn't Go to Too Much Trouble

Well, planning on letting us know anytime soon? Hopefully, It didn't keep you from your bridge game.

As I write this, over 150 people in Mexico have died from the Swine flu. Apparently, it has made a comeback. I haven't heard about it since the 70's. Even then, I thought it may have been a joke or a prank when hearing about it back then. I mean, how do you catch flu from any type of animal much less a pig? Seemed strange.

What has been more strange is that no type of any serious warning was announced to the American public until a couple of days ago. I had heard on my local news last Thursday or Friday that 60 people had already died in Mexico; now, three cases have developed in a small town just outside of San Antonio. The people infected were students from the high school in that area resulting in it being closed this entire week so that it could be sanitized. Then they closed down the park and other public places as well. Soon, other cities around the nation followed suit.

The government announced that deaths would result from this virus, and they were correct. Unfortunately, as I write this part of the article (4-29-09), a small child has died in Houston. Though that may not actually count since the child was visiting from Mexico. However, I did see in the local news that a woman from this city died; but it I haven't seen whether it has been determined if it was from the Swine flu. Anyway, still makes me wonder how the government can make an announcement seemingly in a cavalierish manner predicting death. Never hear those kinds of impending predictions concerning the regular flu. Must really be that serious.

An interesting side note that I learned recently. I decided to look up the word flu or influenza to see where the meaning came from. It originated from the middle ages from the Latin influentia which evolved into influence. It was believed that the flu was influenced from the heavenly bodies or the stars-- a visitation. Interesting.








"Uh, Did I hear you say you believe that martial law needs to be enacted because of the Swine flu?"

No comments:

Post a Comment